Saturday, March 14, 2015

The logic of a sexist mind set

"Chittiya KalaiyaVe" goes the song. Listen to it. It means, "Girl with white wrists!, I'm a girl with white wrists. Take me shopping. I request you. I'm the girl with white wrists" For all the sexist and racist undertones, it;'s catchy.

It's sexist at many levels. Yes, there are women in villages and town, who depend on men to take them out shopping. They do sing such tunes in real life. Take me shopping.Get me a pink scarf. But these girls in designer wear!!!!
The sad part is that Jackie, the lead mouth piece here is not just educated and smart, but from a politically powerful, wealthy family of a neighbouring nation. She is modern, confident and winner of a beauty pageant and ambitious enough to travel thousands of miles northwards into an alien land and act in films in a foreign language.
Not just she, every woman in that video is bright, ambitious and gutsy. Most of them probably support huge families of unemployed dads, brothers, husbands and sons. Yet, for them to make their bread and butter, they should chant and gyrate to, "Take me shopping, I'm the girl with white writs."Watch the song. It's fun in its own way.

No comments: